Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Occupy Welly

Yesterday, we went into Wellington for a conference Jared was to attend. I got to wander the streets and see what there was to see.

My favorite moment was sitting in a small Cuba Street cafe' by an open window. Out on the 'mall' you could see all sorts of people. To my right, a barefoot rastafarian was playing a didjiridou. Directly in front of me was a Maori man whose face was covered in tribal tattoos. To my left, there were two kiwi boys both about 9 playing guitar and singing 'We All Live In A Yellow Submarine' with hopes of filling their empty guitar case. All of this seemed still in the middle of a bustling street. Watching them carefully, time seems to almost freeze and the noise lessens. Three completely different types of people trying in some way to tell me their story. My concentration was broken by the shop owner shooing birds out of the cafe' with her apron.

After about three hours of walking the streets, I was exhausted. I had gone to the City Gallery, The Wharf (where there was an Occupy Wellington Demonstration) and The City Library. I headed up Victoria Street to the church building which is where we parked. We met Carl and Adeline at 5 and went to eat at the Arulandu's Malaysian restaurant. It was phenomenal. Really.

Today, I am washing...ironing...and doing all of the things I was going to do on my unproductive Tuesday. Have a great day!

BTW I can't upload pictures until the 30th which is when we get our own internet. It takes too much bandwidth. I will catch you up. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment